Monday, September 20, 2010

Stumbling onto Mexico

THE STUMBLE

Yup, I have fallen in love...with Mexico! At the beginning of summer, I had looked at a world map trying to decide where to drop in for a "summer-birthday-getaway" trip and recoiled in horror that I'd never been to Mexico!(gasp). Wait a minute, I've lived in the Caribbean most of my life and I've never been to Mexico??! Right then, I decided to go before I got too afraid (yes, too much TV news)....

Puerto Vallarta, aka Vallarta, is as authentic as they come. Ubiquitous taco shops, cobblestone streets, rusty old buses and plenty of sunshine. Vallarta is all about tourists and I was determined to soak up everything. Walking everywhere was hard work but decidedly the best way to indulge my curiosity.

And indulge I did.

THE MUMBLE

I ate way too many tacos, drank way too many margaritas, and bought way too many sappy tourist souvenirs. Sounds too low-end? I also dined at premier restaurants, many with either a view of the ocean or overlooking the city - Las Palomas, Trio, Barcelona Tapas to name a few; spent a tidy sum on bespoke silver jewelery from Alberto's (John Mccartney was here) and yes, signed up for over-priced tours - Las Caletas on the Mexican riviera, and Yeleta. Inhaled the architecture and history too.

Oh, I loved every minute of being a tourist....Vallarta captured my eyes and my heart.

THE GRUMBLE

I worked in the tourism industry for a few years - sweet, sweet, Jamaica - and was always impressed with the ease at which people from varying backgrounds would come together with the one common purpose of pleasing visitors to our island. How, warm smiles and an eager disposition are just as important as handmade souvenirs. Visitors should feel safe, spoiled and feted...Puerto Vallarta was all those things and more.


THE HAPPY ENDING

I'm on my way to being a connoisseur of Mexican cuisine....and margaritas (hic); I own way too many pieces of silver; my limited Spanish vocabulary now includes important swear words and I love bright-colored clothes more than ever before.

Yes, Vallarta will see me again. One day, if I'm lucky, I'll own a vacation home on that hill overlooking the bluest ocean I have ever seen.....

No comments: