Wednesday, December 1, 2010

There's snow in London!

THE MUMBLE

So, there's proper snow in London! Which lucky denizen won THAT bet?!!

I felt a sad tinge when I learned about the snowfall in London and although I eagerly engaged my social media outlets to share it with some members of my family living there, I felt regret having not experienced proper snow when I lived there as a Uni student. Knowing how wonderfully fanatical Londoners can be, I instantly conjured up exciting images in my mind of the sights and sounds in the snowy city. No, I did not want to google it! I wanted to rely on my instincts of how Londoners would have reacted at the first sight of proper snow....picture this:

witty, quirk hand-written signs in tube stations signaling the arrival of snow (it actually happened!); business suits filling the pubs - standing room only - engaging in animated, sarcastic-free (gasp) conversations about the snowy weather; busy bookies collecting on bets (who knew right?!!)......


THE GRUMBLE

If you assumed that I've never experienced snow in London, you'd be wrong! I've had the experience, but not PROPER snow...it was snow dust, actually (sigh). Besides, University exams took away any excitement that I should have been allowed to feel at the time. I sound bitter don't I? But to fully understand where I'm coming from, you'd need to understand the importance of snow in London. London NEVER gets proper snow! NEVER! I'm surprised that a national holiday hasn't been declared!


THE SAD ENDING

I miss the place. I haven't been back in a while; in recent years, I've used my vacation time to see other interesting parts of the world. Now, if I can only get the image of that roast beef sandwich courtesy of Marks & Sparks out of my mind!

No comments: